Dr. Choo received his bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering from Sung Kyun Kwan University, Seoul, Korea in 1988; and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology in 1991 and 1998, respectively. His Ph.D. dissertation research included synthesis and processing of high-temperature intermetallic alloys and composites, and neutron diffraction characterization of mechanical behavior. In 1998, Dr. Choo joined Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE) as a postdoc. His research at LANSCE was focused on the experimental and theoretical investigation of composite micromechanics using neutron diffraction and finite element modeling. In 2001, Dr. Choo joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Tennessee as a tenure-track assistant professor. Dr. Choo was promoted to associate professor with tenure in 2007. Dr. Choo’s current research thrust areas include: synthesis of amorphous, nanocrystalline, and ultrafine-grained structural alloys; and development and application of neutron and synchrotron x-ray diffraction techniques for microstructure and deformation studies. Dr. Choo currently teaches a number of undergraduate and graduate courses including Introduction of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE201), Professional Development (MSE290), and Principles of Metallic Materials (MSE390). Dr. Choo has authored and co-authored more than 150 technical journal papers, and has contributed to about 300 technical presentations given by his research group members and collaborators including about 40 invited talks given by himself at national and international conferences.
- Mechanical behavior of materials
- Neutron and synchrotron x-ray diffraction
- Amorphous, nanocrystalline, and ultrafine-grained alloys
- Advanced Structural Alloys & Neutron/Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction
Ph.D., Illinois Institute of Technology: Synthesis and Processing of Advanced Structural Materials, Neutron Diffraction Characterization
- Member: TMS, MRS, ASM International, NSSA (Neutron Scattering Society of America)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Texture, Stress, and Microstructure, Hindawi
- Member of Board of Review: Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Awards and Recognitions
2019, 2013 Leon and Nancy Cole Superior Teaching Award
2015 Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
2014 TCE Teaching Fellow Award
2012 Top Cited Article Award, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids (2007-2011), Elsevier
2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 Engineering Research Fellow Award, College of Engineering, UT
2010 Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, MSE Dept, UT
2006 Professional Promise in Research and Creative Achievement Award, Chancellor’s Citation, University of Tennessee
2004 Outstanding Young Faculty Researcher Award, MSE Dept, UT
- Yu Z, Choo H, “Influence of Twinning on the Grain Refinement during High-Temperature Deformation in a Magnesium Alloy”, SCRIPTA MATERIALIA, 64 (5): 434-437 2011.
- Yu Z, Zhang W, Choo H, Feng Z, “Transient Heat and Materials Flow Modeling of Friction Stir Processing of Magnesium Alloy using Threaded Tool”, METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE, In Press.
- Garlea E, Clausen B, Kenik EA, Ciurchea D, Vogel SC, Pang JWL, Choo H, “Intergranular Strain Evolution in a Zircaloy-4 Alloy with Basketweave Morphology”, METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 41A (5): 1255-1260 MAY 2010.
- Cheng S, Wang YD, Choo H, Wang XL, Almer JD, Liaw PK, Lee YK, “An Assessment of the Contributing Factors to the Superior Properties of a Nanostructured Steel using In Situ High-Energy X-ray Diffraction”, ACTA MATERIALIA 58 (7): 2419-2429 APR 2010.
- Li HQ, Choo H, Ren Y, Saleh TA, Lienert U, Liaw PK, Ebrahimi F, “Strain Dependent Deformation Behavior in Nanocrystalline Metals”, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 101 (1): Art. No. 015502 JUL 4 2008.
- Woo W, Choo H, Prime MB, Feng Z, Clausen B, “Microstructure, Texture and Residual Stress in a Friction-Stir-Processed AZ31B Magnesium Alloy”, ACTA MATERIALIA 56 (8): 1701-1711 MAY 2008.
- Li L, Ungar T, Wang YD, Fan GJ, Yang YL, Jia N, Ren Y, Tichy G, Lendvai J, Choo H, Liaw PK, “Simultaneous Reductions of Dislocation and Twin Densities with Grain Growth during Cold Rolling in a Nanocrystalline Ni-Fe Alloy”, SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 60 (5): 317-320 MAR 2009.
- Tao KX, Choo H, Li HQ, Clausen B, Jin JE, Lee YK, “Transformation-induced plasticity in an ultrafine-grained steel: An in situ neutron diffraction study”, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90 (10): Art. No. 101911 MAR 5 2007.
- Fan GJ, Fu LF, Choo H, Liaw PK, Browning ND, “Uniaxial tensile plastic deformation and grain growth of bulk nanocrystalline alloys”, ACTA MATERIALIA 54 (18): 4781-4792 OCT 2006.
- Woo W, Choo H, Brown DW, Vogel SC, Liaw PK, Feng ZL, “Texture analysis of a friction stir processed 6061-T6 aluminum alloy using neutron diffraction”, ACTA MATERIALIA 54 (15): 3871-3882 SEP 2006.
- Wang YD, Ren Y, Li HQ, Choo H, Benson ML, Brown DW, Liaw PK, Zuo L, Wang G, Brown DE, Apl EE, “Tracing memory in polycrystalline ferromagnetic shape-memory alloys”, ADVANCED MATERIALS 18 (18): 2392+ SEP 18 2006.
- Fan C, Li HQ, Kecskes LJ, Tao KX, Choo H, Liaw PK, Liu CT, “Mechanical behavior of bulk amorphous alloys reinforced by ductile particles at cryogenic temperatures”, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 96 (14): Art. No. 145506 APR 14 2006.
- Li HQ, Fan C, Tao KX, Choo H, Liaw PK, “Compressive behavior of a Zr-based metallic glass at cryogenic temperatures”, ADVANCED MATERIALS 18 (6): 752+ MAR 17 2006.