Joint Faculty Associate Professor
My research focuses on the design, growth, and characterization of novel materials with unusual electrical, magnetic, thermal properties. My work involves rational synthesis of novel materials, mainly in single crystal form, and investigation of the structure-function relationships. The goal is to understand how to design new materials with desired functionalities. Recent projects include: (1) Emergent phenomena in 4d/5d transition metal oxides arising from the competition between comparable energy scales, (2) CDW and superconductivity, and (3) High entropy oxides.
Selected 10 Favorite Publications (for all publications see https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=n9JgHAkAAAAJ&hl=en)
1. J.-Q. Yan, B. C. Sales, M. A. Susner, and M. A. McGuire, “Flux growth in a horizontal configuration: an analog to vapor transport growth”, Phys. Rev. Mater 1, 023402 (2017).
2. A. Banerjee, J.-Q. Yan, J. Knolle, C. A. Bridges, M. B. Stone, M. D. Lumsden, D. G. Mandrus, D. A. Tennant, R. Moessner, S. E Nagler, “Neutron scattering in the proximate quantum spin liquid α-RuCl3”, Science 356(6342), 1055-1059 (2017).
3. ZY Zhao, S Calder, AA Aczel, MA McGuire, BC Sales, DG Mandrus, G Chen, N Trivedi, HD Zhou, J.-Q. Yan, “Fragile singlet ground-state magnetism in the pyrochlore osmates R2Os2O7 (R=Y and Ho)”, Phys. Rev. B 93, 134426 (2016).
4. W. Tian, C. Svoboda, M. Ochi, M. Matsuda, H. B. Cao, J.-G. Cheng, B. C. Sales, D. G. Mandrus, R. Arita, N. Trivedi, and J.-Q. Yan, “High antiferromagnetic transition temperature of the honeycomb compound SrRu2O6”, Phys. Rev. B 92, 100404(R) (2015).
5. J.-Q. Yan, “Flux growth utilizing the reaction between flux and crucible”, Journal of Crystal Growth 416, 62-65 (2015).
6. Jinguang Cheng , Wei Tian, Jianshi Zhou, Vincent M. Lynch, Hugo Steinfink, Arumugam Manthiram , Andrew F. May, Vasile O. Garlea, Joerg C. Neuefeind and Jiaqiang Yan, “Crystal and Magnetic Structures and Physical Properties of a New Pyroxene NaMnGe2O6 Synthesized under High Pressure,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 135(7) 2776–2786 (2013).
7. J.-Q. Yan, B. Jensen, K. W. Dennis, et al. “Flux requirements for the growth of RFeAsO (R=rare earth) superconductors”, Applied Physics Letters 98, 072504 (2011).
8. J.-Q. Yan, S. Nandi, J. L. Zarestky, W. Tian, A. Kreyssig, B. Jensen, A. Kracher, K. W. Dennis, R. J. McQueeney, A. I. Goldman, R. W. McCallum, T. A. Lograsso, “Flux growth at ambient pressure of millimeter-sized single crystals of LaFeAsO, LaFeAsO1−xFx, and LaFe1−xCoxAsO”, Applied Physics Letters, 95, 222504 (2009).
9. J.-Q. Yan, J.-S. Zhou, J.B. Goodenough, Y. Ren, J.G. Cheng, S. Chang, J. Zarestky, O. Garlea, A. LIobet, H.D. Zhou, Y. Sui, W.H. Su, and R. J. McQueeney, “Orbital Fluctuations and Orbital Flipping in RVO3 Perovskites”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99 197201 (2007).
10. J.-Q. Yan, J.-S. Zhou and J. B. Goodenough, “Unusually strong orbit-phonon coupling in the RVO3 perovskites”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 235901 (2004).