Dr. Mahshid Ahmadi received her PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore in 2013 with focus on development of low cost materials for energy applications. She graduated with B. Sci. (2004) and M. Sci. (2007) in Materials Science and Industrial Metallurgy from Shiraz University, Iran. Prior to joining UTK, she worked as a research and technology consultant in a start-up solar cell company in Dallas, TX. She then moved to UT as a postdoctoral researcher in 2015 and as a research assistant professor in 2017. Currently she works on synthesis and development of hybrid organic-inorganic perovskites for high radiation energy sensors, study electronic and ionic charge transport and probing unusual defects in this class of materials. She has active research collaborations with scientists in Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Charles University, Prague and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Nuclear Engineering at UTK. She has authored and co-authored around 30 peer-reviewed articles. Her recent project on development of hybrid perovskites for dual gamma-neutron detectors was covered in the spring edition, Tennessee Engineer (2018). https://tickle.utk.edu/crystal-clear/
Dynamic Materials and Devices: Tuning physical functionalities via light and electrochemistry
Synthesis and development of solution processable hybrid materials
Electronic and ionic transport in semiconductors
Probing time-resolved dynamics with nanoscale spatial information of charge transport phenomena
Development of novel materials for high energy radiation sensors
Ph.D., Nanyang Technological, Singapore
Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Awards and Recognitions
NSF Travel Award for Women in Engineering, IEEE-ISAF 2018, Hiroshima, Japan (2018)
Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA), Singapore (2008-2012)
Nanotechnology Initiative Award (INI) for Master Thesis, Shiraz University, Iran (2007)
Nanotechnology Initiative Award (INI) for publication, Shiraz University, Iran (2007)
- Meng, M. Ahmadi, X. Wu, T. Xu, L. Xu, Z. Xiong, P. Chen “High Performance and Stable All-Inorganic Perovskite Light Emitting Diodes by Reducing Luminescence Quenching at PEDOT:PSS/Perovskites Interface” Organic Electronics 64 (2019), 47.
- Ahmadi, L. Collins, A. Puretzky, J. Zhang, I. Ivanov, S. Kalinin, B. Hu “Exploring anomalous polarization dynamics in organometallic halide perovskites”, Advanced Materials (2018), 30, 1705298.
- Liu, L. Collins, R. Proksch, S. Kim, B. Watson, B. Doughty, T. Calhoun, M. Ahmadi, A. Ievlev, S. Jesse, S. Retterer A. Belianinov, K. Xiao, B. Sumpter, S. Kalinin, B. Hu, O. Ovchinnikova “The Elastic and Chemical Nature of Ferroelastic Twin Domains in CH3NH3PbI3 Perovskite” Nature Materials 17 (2018), 1013.
- Wu, M. Ahmadi, B. Hu "Giant current amplification induced by ion migration in perovskite single crystal photodetectors" Journal of Materials Chemistry C (2018), 6, 8042
- Tisdale, E. Muckley, M. Ahmadi*, T. Smith, C. Seal, E. Lukosi, I. Ivanov, B. Hu* “Dynamic Impact of Electrode Materials on Interface of Single Crystalline Methylammonium Lead Bromide Perovskite” Advanced Materials Interfaces (2018) 1800476. *Corresponding authors
- Chen, Y. Meng, M. Ahmadi, Q. Peng, L. Xu, S. Ma, X. Tan, X. Zhou, M. Xu, L. Zhu, Z. Xiong, B. Hu “Charge-Transfer versus Energy-Transfer in Quasi-2D Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes” Nano Energy 50 (2018), 615.
- Strelcov, M. Ahmadi, S. Kalinin “Nanoscale Transport Imaging of Active Lateral Devices: Static and Frequency Dependent Modes”, Book Chapter, Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy, Springer International Publishing AG (2018)
- Ahmadi, T. Wu, B. Hu “A Review on Organic-inorganic Perovskite Photodetectors: Device Engineering and Fundamental Physics”, Advanced Materials 29 (2017), 1605242
- Ahmadi, Y.-C. Hsiao, T. Wu, W. Qin, B. Hu “Photo-generated Dipole Effect on Photovoltaic Performance in Organic-inorganic Perovskite Solar Cells” Advanced Energy Materials 7 (2017), 1601575
- Collins, M. Ahmadi, T. Wu, B. Hu, S. Kalinin, S. Jesse “Breaking the time barrier in Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy: Fast force reconstruction using the G-Mode platform”, ACS Nano (2017), 11 (9), 8717
- -Y. Lin, T. Wu, M. Ahmadi, L. Liu, S. Haacke, T.-F. Guo, B. Hu “Simultaneously Enhancing Dissociation and Suppressing Recombination in Perovskite Solar Cells by Using NiOx Transport Interlayer”, Nano Energy (2017), 36, 95
- Zhang, T. Wu, J. Duan, M. Ahmadi, F Jiang, Y. Zhou, B. Hu “Exploring Spin-Orbital Coupling Effects on Photovoltaic Actions in Perovskite Solar Cells upon Replacing Lead with Tin”, Nano Energy 38 (2017), 297