Professor, Leonard G. Penland Chair & Associate Department Head
Dr. Rack earned his bachelor’s degree Magna Cum Laude in Materials Science and Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1993, and his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Florida in 1997. His dissertation research included thin film deposition, surface analysis, and theoretical modeling of optical transitions in thin film electroluminescent materials. In 1997, Dr. Rack joined Advanced Vision Technologies Inc. (AVT) as a Senior Research Scientist where he led their research on luminescent and field emitter materials and contributed to process development of their vacuum microelecronic devices. In 1999, Dr. Rack joined the faculty in the Microelectronic Engineering Department at the Rochester Institute of Technology. There he taught courses in thin film processing, materials characterization, and microlithography and performed research on VUV optical properties and vacuum microelectronic devices. In 2001 Dr. Rack joined the faculty at the University of Tennessee and is investigating emergent properties of nanoscale materials and devices, combinatorial thin film processing, fabrication of nanoscale devices, and nanoscale focused electron, ion and photon beam induced processing. Dr. Rack has authored or co-authored over 200 refereed journal articles (including 3 book chapters and 7 invited review articles) and has contributed to over 330 (70 invited) technical presentations at national and international conferences.
- Thin-film processing and characterization
- Materials and device nanofabrication
- Nanoscale electron, ion, and photon beam induced processing
Click each area below for more information!
Ph.D., Florida: Electronic and Optoelectronic Materials and Devices, Thin Film Processing and Characterization
- Member, MRS
- Fellow, AVS (executive committee of thin film division)
Awards and Recognitions
2020, 2016, 2013 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Research Fellow Award
2018 AVS Fellowship
2017, 2016 CNMS Division Award for Distinguished Scientific Paper, ORNL
- Michael G. Stanford, Philip D. Rack and Deep Jariwala, Emerging Nanofabrication and Quantum Confinement Techniques for 2D Materials Beyond Graphene, NJP 2D Materials and Applications, vol. 2 art no. 20 pp. (1-15) (July 2018).
- Dédalo Sanz-Hernández, Ruben F. Hamans, Johannes Osterrieth, Jung-Wei Liao, Luka Skoric, Jason D. Fowlkes, Philip D. Rack, Anna Lippert, Steven F. Lee, R. Lavrijsen, and Amalio Fernández-Pacheco, Fabrication of scaffold-based 3D magnetic nanowires for domain wall applications, Nanomaterials, vol. 8 no. 7 pp. 483(1-12).
- Cheng Zhang, Pushpa R. Pudasaini, Akinola D. Oyedele, Anton V. Ievlev, Amanda V. Haglund, Joo Hyon Noh, Anthony T. Wong, Kai Xiao, Thomas Z. Ward, David G. Mandrus, Olga S. Ovchinnikova, Philip D. Rack, Ion Migration Studies in Exfoliated 2D Molybdenum Oxide via Ionic Liquid Gating for Neuromorphic Device Applications, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol.10 no. 26 pp. 22623–22631 (June 2018).
- Georg Arnold, Robert Winkler, Martin Stermitz, Angelina Orthacker, Jou-Houn Noh, Jason D. Fowlkes, Gerald Kothleitner, Michael Huth, Philip D. Rack, Harald Plank, Tunable 3d Nano-Resonators for Gas Sensing Applications, Advanced Functional Materials vol 28 no. 11 pp 1707387(1-16) (March 2018).
- Winkler, B.B. Lewis, J.D. Fowlkes, P.D. Rack and H. Plank, High-Fidelity 3D-Nanoprinting using a Focused Electron Beam: A Comprehensive Parameter Study, ACS Applied Nano Materials, vol. 1 no. 3 pp1014-1027 (March 2018).
- Jason D. Fowlkes, R. Winkler, Brett B. Lewis, A. Fernandez–Pacheco, L. Skoric, D. Sanz–Hernández, Michael G. Stanford, Eva Mutunga, P. D. Rack,and H. Plank, High-Fidelity 3D-Nanoprinting using a Focused Electron Beam: Computer-Aided Design (CAD), ACS Applied Nano Materials vol. 1 no. 3 pp1028-1041 (March 2018).
- Ivan Vlassiouk, Yijing Stehle, Pushpa Pudasaini, Raymond Unocic, Philip Rack, Arthur Baddorf, Ilia Ivanov, Nickolay Lavrik, Frederick List, Nitant Gupta, Ksenia Bets, Boris Yakobson, and Sergei Smirnov, Evolutionary Selection Growth of Two Dimensional Materials on Polycrystalline Substrates, Nature Materials vol. 17 no. 4 pp. 318-322 (March 2018).
- Pushpa Raj Pudasaini, Akinola Oyedele, Cheng Zhang, Michael G. Stanford, Nicholas Cross, Anthony T. Wong, Anna N. Hoffman, Kai Xiao, Gerd Duscher, David G. Mandrus, Thomas Z. Ward, Philip D. Rack, High performance multilayer WSe2 field effect transistors with carrier type control, Nano Research vol. 11 no. 2 pp 722-730 (February 2018).
- Jennifer M. Black, Jeremy Come, Sheng Bi, Mengyang Zhu, Wei Zhao, Anthony T. Wong, Joo Hyon Noh, Pushpa Raj Pudasaini, Pengfei Zhang, M. Baris Okatan, Sheng Dai, Sergei V. Kalinin, Philip D. Rack, Thomas Z. Ward, Guang Feng, Nina Balke, Role of Electrical Double Layer Structure in Ionic Liquid Gated Devices, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces vol. 9 no. 46 pp. 40949-40958 (November 2017).
- Brett B. Lewis, Brittnee A. Mound, Bernadeta Srijanto, Jason D. Fowlkes, George M. Pharr and Philip D. Rack, Growth and Nanomechanical Characterization of Nanoscale 3D Architectures Grown Via Focused Electron Beam Induced Deposition, Nanoscale vol. 9 no 42, pp. 16349-16356 (October 2017).