Materials Science & Engineering students are assigned to Hannah Swan for academic advising She is located in the MSE Undergraduate Advising Office, located in Ferris Hall 401. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Appointments are made in Grades First, which is accessed through myUTK.
Students are encouraged to reach out to Hannah at any time with questions about the curriculum, course planning, adding a minor or concentration, and petitioning courses. Hannah can also connect students to faculty mentors and can help navigate students to campus resources and offices. In addition, she can assist students with career and graduate school planning and preparation.
Hannah meets with all MSE students on a yearly basis; however, students are encouraged to meet with her more frequently. The required advising term is determined by the last digit of each student’s ID number:
- Students with ID numbers that end with an even digit are advised in the fall term, prior to spring registration.
- Students with ID numbers that end with an odd digit are advised in the spring term, prior to summer or fall registration.
Advising is required in both fall and spring semesters for the following:
- Students on academic probation
- Students flagged as “off track” by uTrack
- Students who have not yet accumulated 30 credit hours at UTK
The MSE advising process follows the general schedule outlined below:
- From the beginning of the semester through the deadline to make schedule changes without receiving a W (full term session), walk-in appointments are available on a first come, first serve basis. These appointments are for addressing issues related to current semester courses only and will not serve as the yearly required advising appointment.
- After that deadline has passed, students will make appointments in Grades First. Students who are required to be advised during the current semester will receive an email with a link to the appointment calendar in Grades First, where they will be able to schedule an advising appointment. Please note that appointments must be made 72 hours in advance. Students are required to bring a list of courses they anticipate taking to their appointment.
If you have questions about this process, or other questions or concerns you’d like for Hannah to address, please reach out to her.